This was in the Park Station Police newsletter, and was looking for a signal boost. It’s of interest to all of us, living as we do in earthquake country. The SF Fire Department is offering classes in January through early March 2011. Most of them are six-session evening courses; but they also offer a couple of intensive weekend options. The classes are held all over the city. The one closest to our neighborhood is probably in the Sunset, at 5th and Irving. According to the newsletter, more classes will be added later on.
# # #
Subject: Free NERT preparedness and response training by the San Francisco Fire Department
My name is Erica and I am the current program coordinator for NERT, the Neighborhood Emergency Response Team. This program provides instructor-lead classroom training with hands-on components included to prepare San Franciscans for a disaster no matter how big or small.
Earthquake? Power Outage? Flooding on Shotwell Street? This all hazards approach begins with caring for oneself and family and includes training to become a volunteer emergency responder in your neighborhood.
I am writing to request your assistance to get the word out about this free training opportunity. We do not have an advertising budget and rely on word of mouth to spread this important information. We are now celebrating over 20 years of consistent emergency response team training and I still often meet people who are not aware of this opportunity.
New NERT classes are coming up and people should take the training that best fits their schedule. People can join their neighborhood team upon completion of the training. Participants should plan to attend all sessions of the training to gain the full scope and benefit. New students may begin no later than the 2nd week of a six week class and must begin on the 1st day of a two-day intensive class.
There is also a three hour introductory workshop that focuses on personal preparedness.
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide in telling people about NERT training.
Seven new classes are beginning in the new year. More will be added through the spring. Check back to the website if the scheduling does not fit your needs. Click the link or type in the following URL: http://www.sf-fire.org/index.aspx?page=859
CLASSES AND SCHEDULES
Inner Richmond: Zion Church and School, 495 9th Ave @ Anza
- Class session 1: January 5
- Class session 2: January 12
- Class session 3: January 19
- Class session 4: January 26
- Class session 5: February 2
- Class session 6: February 9
Bayview: Bayview Police Station Community Rm
201 Williams @ Newhall
Two Day Intensive!
- Class sessions 1, 2, 3: January 8
- Class session 4, 5, 6: January 22
Sunset: St. John of God Church Hall
1290 5th Ave @ Irving
Thursday evenings, 6:30pm-9:30pm
- Class session 1: January 13
- Class session 2: January 20
- Class session 3: January 27
- Class session 4: February 3
- Class session 5: February 10
- Class session 6: February 17
Civic Center/South of Market: San Francisco Federal Building
90 7th Street @ Market
- Class sessions 1 and 2: January 26
- Class sessions 3 and 4: February 2
- Class sessions 5 and 6: February 9
South Beach/Mission Bay: SFFD Headquarters
698 – 2nd Street, Commission Room
- Class session 1: February 1
- Class session 2: February 8
- Class session 3: February 15
- Class session 4: February 22
- Class session 5: March 1
- Class session 6: March 8
North of Panhandle/Lone Mountain: USF Campus, use main entrance on Golden Gate Ave
McLaren Conference Center, room 250
Two Day Intensive!
- Class sessions 1, 2, and 3: February 12
- Class sessions 4, 5, and 6: February 26
Fisherman’s Wharf: Radisson Hotel Fisherman’s Wharf
250 Beach Street
Two Day Intensive!
- Class sessions 1, 2, and 3: February 25
- Class sessions 4, 5, and 6: March 4
Resilient Community Workshop
SFFD NERT and SF SAFE (sfsafe.org) want you to have skills to be prepared for emergencies big or small, and know your neighbors to maximize resiliency after disaster.
- Risk Awareness
- Disaster Supplies
- Personal/Family Disaster Plan
- Utilities Overview
- NERT Overview
- Community, block by block
San Francisco Jewish Community Center (JCC) 3200 California @ Parnassus
(Paid parking is available in JCC lot)
Tuesday February 4, 7pm-9pm