Someone sent me this notification, and I’m posting it here in case anyone’s planning to drive out the week of June 11.
Daly City is bracing for large crowds the week of June 11-17 as golf fans converge on the Olympic Club for the 2012 US Open. Widely regarded as the premier golf event of the year, the US Open is expected to draw more than 200,000 spectators during the week. Although the golf course is located in San Francisco, a majority of the fans attending the event will pass directly through Daly City, potentially causing unprecedented traffic delays in the area near the Olympic Club.
Officials from the United States Golf Association (USGA) have planned ways to mitigate traffic in Daly City, but transporting 200,000 people to the Olympic Club in a single week will undoubtedly affect regular traffic flow along John Daly Boulevard between Junipero Serra Boulevard and Highway 35 (Skyline Boulevard).
- John Muir Drive will be closed to the general public for the duration of the event (residents who live at Lakewood Apartments will be issued parking permits and will be granted access from southbound Highway 35 in the eastbound direction only).
- Highway 35 will be closed to all northbound traffic between 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. during the U.S. Open. Only one lane of southbound Highway 35 (the western-most lane) will remain open to the public.
- Motorists are advised to avoid the area of Highway 35 north of the Highway 1 interchange in Pacifica. Highway 1 and I-280 are the preferred north/south alternate routes during the U.S. Open.
- Fans planning to attend the U.S. Open are encouraged to take advantage of free parking at Candlestick Park. The USGA has arranged free shuttle service from Candlestick Park to the Olympic Club (and back) throughout the event.
- A shuttle for BART riders will be available from the Colma Station. Absolutely no event parking is available near the Olympic Club.
- The Olympic Section of Westlake (the neighborhood north of John Daly Boulevard, between Highway 35 and Lake Merced Boulevard) will be accessible only to residents and their guests. On-street parking in the Olympic Section during the U.S. Open will require a permit.
- Westlake Park, the Doelger Senior Center, Larcombe Clubhouse and the Pacelli Events Center will not be open from Monday, June 11 through Sunday, June 17.
- The Library and Recreation Services Administration offices will be staffed and open for phone inquiries Monday, June 11 through Friday, June 15. However, no parking will be available for drop-in visitors or in-person registration. If you need assistance from the Library and Recreation Services Department during the U.S. Open, please call (650) 991-8001 or FAX (650) 991-0303.
All Daly City facilities will re-open Monday, June 18 barring any play-off rounds.
For more information about the 2012 U.S. Open, visit www.usopen.com. For more information and a map of the roads around the Olympic Club CLICK HERE.